Monday, December 3, 2007

Bamboo to dye for!

I finally got to experiment with dying bamboo. I have about 7 lbs of watermelon red bamboo, the color of which I'm not very fond of, but I got a great deal on it. So, I'm playing with dying it! Got the dye from The Yarn Stash last week. Dying cellulose fibers is definitely different than wool, more complicated and takes longer. I tested out 100 gms, going for a purple yarn and it turned out beautiful. I wish I had dyed more than just 100 gms because I'm not sure what I'm going to make with so small an amount. I'll figure something out. This morning I made 200 gms of a beautiful orange. I think my next attempt will be at handpainting it.

I don't know why I started dying now as I have so many Christmas projects I need to work on. Aidan's sweater is coming out beautiful! I love it. It is a take on the cabled baby bag in a big boys size. I'm also going to make a Moebius scarf for my MIL and am eagerly awaiting my Pure Wool shipment to start that. She is one of those that has an allergy to wool, but I'm pretty sure she'll be ok with the Purl Wool (if not I'll keep it and make her another one out of a different fiber).

No comments: